Saturday, July 6, 2013

Sacred Ghost Clown of Man's Engineering


150 years of emotions experienced.  The barker went into detail.  A statue come to life in response to the outrage of one who would defy God?  Not in this case.  Picture a being not so much born as fabricated from years of life in the carnival world of calliope and side show.  For over a century and a half, the clown traveled from one attraction to another across North America.
Beginning years ago in a place like San Francisco and ending in a city in Wisconsin at the Circus World Museum.  "I found him in the Barnum Museum in Connecticut," Mr. Stoles, the barker claims.
"I found him nosing about the Barnum Museum of Connecticut.  Clearly he needed something only I could provide," the artificial clown replies.  "Perhaps surprise, maybe wonder, or maybe he just wanted to know how comfortable I was defying God."
A secret smile and a wave like a salute.
"No man has ever walked in my shoes.  I am the sacred clown that the Universe came upon by accident."
"He is a marvel," Stoles replies.
"I am an impossible phenomenon my Master of Ceremonies.  Whisper in my polished brass ears the name of loss."
"Sometimes, though, he makes no sense at all."
The clown tilts its polished and burnished head down and looks me in the eye with raised eyebrows.


No comments:

Post a Comment