Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Convergence Anxiety

I don't know why every year the coming weekend of Convergence always fills me with anxiety.  While most conventions I've always felt a sense of freedom coming on as they drew closer; Convergence approaching always makes me feel the opposite.

I knew I just had to "suck it up" a couple of years ago when I was taken off the list of performers at Harmonic Convergence after six years because my hour of spoken-word storytelling and poetry didn't draw the crowds that the live musicians did.
Then this year I got a form letter from the Con-com staff letting me know that Convergence had grown big enough that they were going to pick and choose the programming volunteer artists and writers that they extended complementary registrations to.  They gave me an opportunity to send them back a letter letting them know what I was working on. 

So I sent them back an e-mail letting them know the anthologies my short stories were going to be published or republished in, the plays that I had written and had produced in the past and the one I was commissioned to do in 2014.  I didn't mention the reading I was going to do at Dream Haven books and comics because even I didn't know I was going to be doing that yet.  They sent me an e-mail back letting me know that I didn't make the cut; though they did extend me the olive branch of allowing me to register at last day of con last year prices.

It worked out for the best because my wife was offered the chance to vend at a convention the following weekend.  Since she didn't want to do the convention thing two weekends in a row I will just be using the registration that I originally bought for her the last day of con in 2012. 

It will be a different kind of Con for me this year.  Maybe I will even feel less anxious that I have in previous years.  That's probably just wishful thinking. Is it just the psychological equivalent of what they used to call growing pains?  Eventually, either you will outgrow everything, or everything will outgrow you.  In this case, Convergence simply outgrew me.

No comments:

Post a Comment